A Guide to Lenovo
When you switch to a new laptop or tablet, you tend to get confused about certain features of that particular gadget and it can be quite hectic to figure it out by yourselves. Some of the basic features are mentioned in the guide books that come along with the Lenovo products but a few things are still a mystery. Well, fear not as this article is solely focused on the Frequently Asked Questions of the users.
How to take a Screenshot on Lenovo Laptops
Take a screenshot of the whole screen:You can do this by the following two methods:
- By pressing the PrtSc key to take a screenshot of the full screen
- By pressing the Windows logo key and the PrtSc key
Method 1 (using PrtSc key):
Press the PrtSc key on your keyboard it will copy the image of full screen to clipboard
- Then, click on the Windows Logo Key and type in ‘paint’ in the search bar.
- Open the Paint application.
- Press Ctrl+V to paste the screenshot into the Paint program.
- Then finally press Ctrl and S keys at the same time to save this screenshot.
Method 2 (using Windows logo and PrtSc key):
- By pressing the Windows logo key and the PrtSc key at the same time you can easily take the screenshot of the full screen right away.
- You can view this screenshot by going to C:\Users\[Your Name]\Pictures\Screenshots.
- From there you can edit it however you want or paste it wherever you desire.
- Take a screenshot of an active window:
Following steps must be followed:
- First, click anywhere on the window to make sure that it is an active window, then the previous actions can be applied.
- Either click the Alt and PrtSc keys at the same time on your keyboard to capture a screenshot of it.
- Or, click PrtSc key and then open paint to copy the screenshot using Ctrl and V keys and then save it using ctrl+S.
- Take a custom screenshot
If you want to take a custom screenshot which means screenshot of a specific area rather than the full screen then you can use the following two methods:
Method 1 (using your keyboard):
You can take the screenshot using your keyboard if you have Windows 10 installed.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key, Shift and S at the same time.
- Click and drag your mouse to select a certain area of your screen. Then release the mouse button.
- The screenshot is now automatically saved.
- You can view it by going to C:\Users\[Your Name]\Pictures\Screenshots.
- You can also edit it in the Paint program.
Method 2 (using Snipping Tool):
The windows come with a built-in snipping tool to screenshot images.
Click on the Windows Logo key and type in ‘snipping tool’ on your keyboard
- Once opened, click on ‘New”. You can also choose different styles on ‘Modes’.
- Click and drag your mouse to select a specific portion of your screen and once obtained the desired area, let go of the mouse.
- A pop-up window will appear to click the Save Snip icon to save this custom screenshot.
How to factory reset Lenovo Laptops
There are two methods for it:
Method 1 (Use OneKey Recovery):
First, you need to check if you have the Recovery Key (Novo key) on your Lenovo laptop; it is usually on the right or left side of your laptop or at the top of your keyboard next to the Power button. Once you find the Recovery Key, you can follow the steps below:
- Firstly, power off your Lenovo laptop. If your laptop is hung or stuck and you are not able to turn it off normally, you can take out of the battery and then re-connect it.
- Then connect the power source to your Lenovo laptop and press the Recover Key for five seconds.
When the Novo Button Menu pops up, press down (↓) arrow key and select “System Recovery” option, and then click on “Enter” to get into the recovery territory
- Then click on “Restore from initial backup” from OneNote recovery mode and then click on Next.
- Click on “Start”, and click on “Yes” when the pop up appears.
- Wait for the system recovery process to complete, and then follow the on-screen instructions to configure your Lenovo laptop Windows settings.
Note: Without the OneNote Recovery option you will lose all your data so make sure it is available on your Lenovo laptop.
Method 2: (using setup/repair disk):
For this method, follow the given steps:
- Start by connecting the setup/repair disk with your Lenovo laptop.
- Set your Lenovo laptop to boot from the setup/repair disk.
(If your Lenovo laptop isn’t booting from the removable device automatically, you might need to press the F2 (or F1) key to get into UEFI (BIOS) settings to change the boot order)
- If the boot is done correctly then you will see the installation screen pop up, click on Next.
- Click on the “Repair your computer” link on the left bottom of the screen.
- Click on “Troubleshoot” from the choices given.
- Click on “Reset this PC” on the Troubleshoot screen.
- There will be two options to choose: “Keep my files” and “Remove everything”.
(Choose whatever option is best to fulfill your requirements)
- Select your Windows system.
- Select the drive that you will refresh, whether “Only the drive where Windows is installed”, or “All drives”.
- There also are two options to choose on the following step: “Just remove my files” or “Full clean the drive”.
- Finally, click on “Reset” button, this will begin the resetting process.
- Make sure your data is backed up otherwise it will be lost forever.
- Also connect your laptop to a power source as while restoring the process cannot be paused or stopped.
How to factory reset Lenovo Tablets
There are two methods:
Method 1 (for running tablet):
- Power on the tablet and log in if required.
- Go to Settings.
- Navigate and then tap on Backup & reset.
- Click on Factory data reset among the other options, a warning page will open up.
- Tap on Reset tablet to set the tablet back to the factory default, this will erase all data, pictures, and added apps.
It is advised to do only when there is no other resort.
Method 2 (for powered off tablet):
- Make sure that the tablet is powered off.
- Remove your SD card, if there is one in the device.
- Press the “Power” and the “Volume Up” buttons at the same time until the start-up logo shows on the screen.
- Once you can see the logo, release the buttons and allow the device to enter the “System Recovery Mode”.
- Next use the “Volume Down” button to get to the “wipe data/factory reset” option.
- When in recovery mode the “Volume Up” and “Volume Down” buttons are how to can navigate and highlight what option you need.
- Once you have selected the “wipe data/factory reset”, press the “Power” button to select that option.
- On the following screen, repeatedly press the “Volume Down” button until the “Yes – delete all user data” option is what is selected.
- Then press the “Power” button to hard reset the tablet.
- If you take your SD card out earlier, then, when the device is up and running again, insert the SD card again.
How to enter BIOS in Lenovo Laptops:
Via function keys:
When the PC screen displays the Lenovo logo. Press (Fn+) F2, right away
Via Novo Button:
- Shut down the computer. Find the Novo button. (It has been mentioned before)
- Press Novo buttonto enter Novo Boot Menu, select BIOS Setup to enter BIOS.
Enter from Windows 10, 8/8.1:
If the computer boots too fast, there may not be enough time to press F2. Enter the UEFI firmware from Windows 10, 8/8.1. Use the following steps:
- Click on Settings.
- Click Update & security.
- Click Recovery, then Restart now.
- The options will display now click on Troubleshoot.
- Now click on Advanced options.
- Then select UEFI Firmware Settings.
- Choose Restart.
- Now the BIOS setup utility interface will be on the screen.
By pressing Shift button and restarting the machine
- Log out of Windows and go to the sign in screen.
- Press the Shift key on the keyboard while clicking the Power button on the screen.
- Continue to press hold the Shift key while clicking on Restart.
- Hold down the Shift key. The computer will open a bluescreen with the option to continue.
- Click on Troubleshoot then Advanced options then UEFI Firmware Settings and finally Restart.
- The BIOS setup utility interface screen will display.
Lenovo computers are made focused on user friendliness and ease of use. As per above troubleshooting guides prove ease of fixing some most common errors and bring your machine back to life.